The OFFICE OF FINANCIAL AID can help you with work study awards and pay rates
Determine work study funding need & pay rate
There are two types of employment for students: Work-Study & Student Hourly.
- Work Study: financial aid awarded via the FAFSA or the Request Work-Study Application; types include “need-based” and “no-need” work-study. Part of a student’s wages earned through a work-study position are supplemented by state, federal or institutional funds.
- Student Hourly: campus hourly positions are available throughout campus and do not require a work-study award.
Will your department need work study funding for this student position? Find detailed work study information on OFA’s website.
View the Office of Financial Aid’s Student Job Categories & Pay Rate Chart to determine the hourly pay rate of the student position.
Questions About Work Study Awards and Pay Rates — Email OFApay@colostate.edu
The CAREER CENTER can help you with job descriptions, posting jobs on Handshake, interviewing, and job offers
Write a job description
Creating a meaningful student employee experience begins with an intentional job description. Browse the following resources to craft a job description.
- Job Description Guide
- Job Description Template
Questions About Job Descriptions — Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Post job on Handshake, then market job opening
Handshake is CSU’s online recruiting platform where campus employers can connect with students through online job and internship postings, application management, career events and trainings. Post the job for a minimum of 3 days, preferably 1-2 weeks.
Questions About Handshake — Email email@example.com
- Student Job Marketing Tips
Questions About Recruitment Events & Resources — Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Review applications, then host interviews
Guided by equity, use these resources to host interviews.
- Interview Questions Library
- Interviewing Guide
Questions About Interviews– Email email@example.com
Make a conditional job offer
Job offers are contingent on a successful background check. Use the following template to make a conditional offer to a candidate.
- Conditional Job Offer Letter Template
Questions About Job Offers — Email firstname.lastname@example.org
HUMAN RESOURCES can help you with background checks and new hire paperwork
Request an Oracle background check
The background check process for students are conducted through Oracle. To initiate a background check:
- Complete the HR System Access Request Form for background checks. This will allow access to the background check system within Oracle.
- Complete the online background check training: Review the How to Order a Background Check in Oracle training document or reference A Guide to Background Checks at Colorado State University
- Once the background check has been submitted, the candidate will receive an email notification. The candidate’s response is required for the background check to begin.
Questions About Background Checks — Email email@example.com
Student completes Equifax, RAMp Up new hire forms (I-9, Section 1)
Reference the RAMp Up Guide for more information. Once the student passes their background check, they will automatically be enrolled in Equifax to complete their RAMp Up new hire forms (I-9, Section 1 & SSA-1945) . These forms must be completed no later than the first day of employment.
Questions About New Hire Paperwork — Email HR_Rampup@colostate.edu
Arrange time to meet in-person with student & complete Equifax, I-9 Section 2 new hire forms
After the student completes their RAMp Up new hire forms, your department must complete I-9, Section 2 of the new hire forms through Equifax. Arrange a time to meet with the student to view and verify their original identification and work authorization documents. Departments are not required to make copies of the supporting documents.
- Equifax: I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification, Federal W-4 & Appropriate State Tax Records
- Share direct deposit management information with student
- Share student employee retirement plan (SERP) information with student
Questions About New Hire Paperwork — Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The OFFICE OF FINANCIAL AID can help you with Oracle approvals
HUMAN RESOURCES can help you with Oracle technology and Timclock Plus & payment/payroll
Enter student as new Oracle assignment
Using the Oracle Hiring a New Employee Guide, enter the newly hired student into Oracle. You will need to reference the Office of Financial Aid’s Student Job Categories & Pay Rate Chart to complete this step.
Questions About Oracle Approvals — Email OFApay@colostate.edu
Questions About Oracle Technology — Email HR_IS@colostate.edu
After Oracle assignment is approved, student gets access to TimeClock Plus
24 hours after the new hire is approved through Oracle by the Office of Financial Aid, they will have access to TimeClock Plus.
Questions About TimeClock Plus — Email HR_IS@colostate.edu
Questions About Payment/Payroll — Email email@example.com
THE OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL STUDENT & SCHOLAR SERVICES can help you with hiring international students
Additional resources for hiring international students
International students may be employed on-campus from the start of their academic program. Hiring international students can have a great benefit to university offices and provides these students with opportunity to get experience in the U.S. work environment.
Questions About Hiring International Students — Email ISSS@colostate.edu or call 970-491-5917