Career Services Student Code of Conduct and Handshake User Agreement
Colorado State University Career Services provides all students and alumni with helpful resources, services, and technology toward executing a successful employment search. CSU Career Services is committed to complying with the ethical standards of the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) and expects students and employers to be honest and professional in the job and internship process. To maintain the outstanding reputation of Career Services and Colorado State University, students and alumni must agree to the following terms:
- I will present my abilities, qualifications, interests, and credentials honestly and accurately.I certify that any job search documents and profile information (including, but not limited to GPA, Degree, and Graduation Date) provided to an employer, university or other academic or professional institution in a written, oral, or indirect manner are truthful and accurate. I understand that any deliberate misrepresentation, including but not limited to changing profile information to gain access to jobs, may result in me being disqualified from using Handshake. I also understand that this includes keeping any passwords to access Handshake confidential.
- I will keep all interview appointments. In the case of an emergency situation, I will notify Career Servicesdirectly and as soon as possible and I understand that my situation will be reviewed and that documentation may be requested. If a cancellation is made less than 24 hours in advance, I understand a letter of apology must be written to the employer and I will be unable to interview until I bring a copy of my apology letter to my career services office.
I understand that if I do not keep my scheduled campus interview and do not notify the career services office in advance, I am considered a “no-show” and cannot interview or access job openings until I meet with a career services staff member and send a letter of apology to the employer with a copy to CSU. I understand that as a first time offender I may lose access to Handshake and on-campus interviewing for the rest of the semester and that if I “no-show” two times, I will lose my CSU Handshake and interview privileges indefinitely.
- I will notify employers of my acceptance or rejection of offers(internship/co-op/full-time) within the deadline offer timeline as discussed with the recruiter. If I feel the deadline for acceptance or rejection is too short or puts undue pressure on me, I will contact Career Services and discuss my situation with them.
- I will honor an accepted offer and discontinue interviewing upon providing verbal or writtenacceptance. Once an offer has been accepted, I will cancel all upcoming interviews by contacting my Career Services and the companies. I will also notify Career Services of my acceptance, discontinue my search, and decline any additional interview invitations. If any concerns about an offer arise, I will contact Career Services to discuss the situation. I understand that reneging is unprofessional and may disqualify me from using Handshake and other services provided by the CSU Career Services.
- I will sign-up and accept interviews only with employers that genuinely interest me.I understand that by applying for interview schedules I have no real interest in that it takes away opportunities from other students who are interested and wastes employers’ time. I understand that if I need interview practice, I can sign up for a Mock Interview.
- I will allow Career Services Staff to review any documents(e.g., resumes, cover letters) that I post to Handshake for the purpose of ensuring quality and appropriateness of documents and/or evaluating career services programming. At no point will any of my identifying student information be shared with outside parties for these purposes.
- I understand I can allow Career Services to disclose documents to employers if I agree to do so in myHandshake profile set-up. Career Services will then have my permission to make resumes, cover letters, and applications available to prospective employers via email, print, and other electronic media; and these documents may be requested by employers according to employment authorization status, desired function, past experience, etc.
- I agree to accept the consequences which many include losing certain CSU Career Services privilegesif I do not comply with these principles of ethical conduct. I understand that some violations could result in a report to Conflict Resolution and Student Conduct Services.
Career Services Agrees To:
- Provide servicesthat will assist in your career decision-making and job search activities.
- Provide accessto a range of career opportunities and types of employers.
- Protect confidentialityof student information to the extent possible.
- Respect diversityof our students and employers by providing access and reasonable accommodations to students and prospective employers without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, or disability.
- Act as student advocatesby responding to employer EEO non-compliance and unethical behavior.