Interview questions must be:
- Predetermined and asked of all candidates
- Non-leading and open ended
- Based on job requirements
- Job related
Don’t ask about:
- Economic Status, including bankruptcy, car ownership, rental or ownership of a house, length of residence at any address, or past garnishment of wages
- Education, where no direct job-related requirement or business necessity can be proven
- English Language Skills
- Marital/Family status, including number of children and provision for child care
- Military Service Records
- National Origin
Hiring should be based on:
- Both performance skills and technical skills to determine if the student will be successful in the job.
- Focus on what the employee can do, not what they can not do.
Things to consider:
- Are you willing to train the student?
- Is there potential for learning and applying what has been learned?
- Do not let your judgment be influenced by things unrelated to the ability to do the job, such as: relative quality of other applicants, interviewer biases or stereotypes.
If you need further information or have questions, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity at 970-491-5836, or the Career Center, 970-491-5707.