One of the great aspects of the federal government is that there are positions in virtually every field. As the nation’s largest employer, our government is hiring and the available jobs offer a match for almost any set of skills and interests. In order to attract new talent, some agencies may offer student loan repayments, signing bonuses and flexible work schedules in addition to competitive salaries, retirement, and healthcare.
Check out these videos of young feds in a variety of fields.
To see jobs by college major.
Top 5 Tips on Applying:
1. Set up a saved search at www.usajobs.gov/ to be sure you don’t miss great positions! Doing a Saved Search on their website allows you to receive e-mails about job openings in your specific field and sometimes these positions are only open for 4 days. Tips and tricks to mastering USA Jobs
2. Your resume can be lengthy for federal positions, 3-5 pages, be sure to match the key words in the job description, only tailored resumes make it through.
3. Apply at all types of agencies since you can move around once you get in
4. Consider all your experiences - academic, volunteer, and paid jobs since all of these provide skills
5. Review application questionnaires and be sure to back your answers in your resume.