An academic internship is a form of experiential education that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skill development in a professional setting.
Internship for Credit
Internships are not required for most academic programs, but are encouraged by CSU and the Career Center.
- Internship requirements and employer responsibilities are established by academic departments for credit-bearing internships.
- Credit is awarded to the student by the department rather than the employer upon successful completion of the internship.
- Internships last an average of 10-12 weeks and can range from 1-3 credit hours. Students pay tuition for credits earned.
- Employers may be contacted or encounter a site visit from the internship coordinator.
When considering unpaid internships, confirm that they qualify under Department of Labor guidelines.
International students may be eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) internships or Optional Practical Training (OPT).
Career Center Resources
- The Career Center Employer Relations Team is available for employer consultations to help employers navigate CSU in the creation of internship programs.
- Sam Boren, Employer Relations Manager | Sam.Boren@colostate.edu| 970-491-6409
- Matt Leland, Employer Relations Manager| email@example.com | 970-491-0617
Services We Offer
Market Your Internship Opportunity
- Access the Career Center’s Handshake job posting system to post your internship opportunity
- Participate in CSU career fairs and other Career Center sponsored events and activities
Set Up On-Campus Interviews
- Work with the On-Campus Interview Coordinator to communicate with the students regarding interview logistics
- Utilize interview rooms available in the Career Center
- Clearly outline your selection process and timeframe with each student you interview
- Contact every student that you interview regarding their status in a timely fashion
- Clearly communicate the next steps to the intern–official offer letter, orientation logistics, start date, etc.
- Respond to students not selected within timeframe; keep in contact for potential future opportunities